Safe Streets in the News
Neighbors Celebrate Safety at National Night Out |Tacoma Weekly, August 9, 2019
Fear, lingering problems prompt neighbors to demand action at Tacoma’s Blueberry Park |Tacoma News Tribune, June 21, 2019
Safe Streets Honors Block Watch Groups| Tacoma Weekly, June 9, 2019
Opioid Town Hall| November 13, 2019
Safe Streets Community Conference| October 19, 2019
National Night Out| August 6, 2019
Here you will be able to quickly and efficiently access organization information and logos.
Safe Streets unites and inspires neighbors, youth and businesses to build safe, healthy and thriving communities.
Safe Streets mobilizes grassroots community change by:
- Motivating and inspiring action in the community
- Teaching leadership strategies so community members solve their own problems
- Assisting neighborhoods and youth to define their vision for change
- Connecting people and organizations for success
We engage in grassroots organizing by initiating and supporting place-specific, community-led groups in neighborhoods and schools. We provide leadership and help people initiate change in their environments. We set a tone and a standard for healthy, clean, safe community norms. Serving Tacoma and Pierce County since 1989, Safe Streets equals a safe community. Both private and public funds support Safe Streets’ community efforts.
- Over the past 30 years, Safe Streets has successfully established 200 block groups and coalitions that involve over 13,340 active neighborhood volunteers who engage in crime intervention and prevention activities.
- According to an evaluation performed by Pacific Lutheran University in 2014, 95% of youth involved in Youth Leading Change believe they can be effective leaders and stated that they are likely or extremely like to attend college.
- Safe Streets provides certified Crime Prevention through Environmental Design review services for residents and business. This includes an onsite inspection and commendations for crime deterring improvements.
- Safe Streets promotes and helps organize National Night Out block parties spanning Tacoma and Pierce County. In 2019, over 120 groups celebrated their neighborhoods.
Call 253.272.6824 or Email Safe Streets for more information.